Sunday, September 21, 2008

I like my wine blood- and fish gut-free...

I don't know, that's just the kind of girl I am. When I'm indulging in an occasional glass of wine, I'm just not looking for that extra hint of bull's blood, egg albumen, casein or ground up tendons -- but hey, that's just me.

Sure, wine is mostly grapes with a bit of yeast and some sulfites thrown in, but did you know that the winemaking process also includes something called finings, which are most often made from fish, shrimp, ground up tendons and even blood? For most wine drinkers, this may not be an issue, but for the vegan or vegetarian consumer, this is a big no-no.

Most winemakers use animal-derived finings (even though non-animal finings are available and work great) and they do not have to put this information on the label. Therefore, you need to consult a vegan wine guide before you go wine shopping, since you won't be able to determine which is suitable for you once you are at the store.


Click here to read more about the non-vegan finings used by most winemakers and to find out where you can buy vegan wine.

Click here to get the printable Pocket Vegan Wine Guide from Vegans are from Mars.


And, a quick note on champagne - popular brands Dom Perignon and Moet & Chandon are both vegan and are sold anywhere that champagne is sold.

2 comments: