Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Lightlife Smart Bacon: Vegan Product Information and Review

I have tried Lightlife Smart Bacon on a number of occasions and have tried cooking them on the stove with a little oil, a lot of oil and no oil. I have also tried cooking this vegan bacon alternative in the oven to see if I would achieve different results. There may be a trick that I am not aware of, but each time I have cooked them they have come out hard, dry and brittle.

For vegans (and anyone else looking for healthier meatless bacon alternatives) I would recommend Lightlife Fakin' Bacon Organic Smokey Tempeh Strips instead. While I'm not a big fan of Lightlife Smart Bacon, their Fakin' Bacon is superb on BLTs, along side a healthy breakfast or for a great snack.

However, Lightlife Smart Bacon is still a great low fat protein source for vegans, vegetarians, flexitarians or others looking for non-meat protein to add to their diet. The flavor and texture leave something to be desired, but each serving of Lighlife Smart Bacon (2 slices) contains 45 calories, 2 grams of fat, 340mg of sodium, 95mg of potassium, 1 gram of carbohydrates, 6 grams of protein, less than 1 gram of dietary fiber, 2% of the daily recommended amount of calcium and 4% of the daily recommended amount of iron.

Read the full product information and review of Lightlife Smart Bacon here.

No comments:

Post a Comment